8.1 Content Restrictions
In Bahrain, Jordan, the KSA, Kuwait, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Turkey, and the UAE ads must not contain content or themes that offend the values of society, cultural heritage (especially Arab heritage and civilization), or the identity of the State.
In alignment with Global Ad Policies, political advocacy ads (either for or against a political person, party, or related to an election) are prohibited in Bahrain, Jordan, the KSA, Kuwait, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Turkey, and the UAE. Ads must never disrespect the constitution or criticize the policies, whether domestic or international, of Bahrain, Jordan, the KSA, Kuwait, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Turkey, or the UAE. In addition, ads must not:
- Criticize the Heads of State, members of the ruling Royal Families, politicians, state ministries/departments, security/military institutions or figures, the system of ruling, or any related symbols or imagery;
- Jeopardize the safety of the State, its security, interests, reputation, prestige, symbols, rulers, institutions (this covers any negative depiction of the above, for example, an entertainment ad that showed the Burj Khalifa in ruins would be a violation);
- Disrupt public order, national security, and public interest requirements (see also ‘Cultural and Social Norms’ above);
- Damage, harm, or bring into disrepute the economy or economic interests of the State;
- Damage or harm relations with other countries;
- Feature Presidential flags and other flags printed on any apparel or in an unaccustomed position (for example, a national flag on a shot glass or floor mat);
- Refer to or depict political groups or movements;
- Depict a politically or socially rebellious attitude towards established cultural/social norms. For example, an ad showing young people rebelling against authority figures, such as teachers or police officers, or content that challenges the wearing of traditional clothing, such as the hijab or abaya.
Global Ad Policy prohibits ad content that advocates or demeans religions. Ads for religious products and services are prohibited.
Religious script, the name or image of Allah (or Prophet Muhammad or any other Prophets of Islam or of any other religion), or any religious objects or sites must not be printed on any apparel or in any unaccustomed position. This includes all apparel/footwear, floor coverings, bedding, pet products, bathroom products, and alcohol items.
All religions must be treated with respect, including non-Islamic religions. However, content related to polytheism is prohibited (for example, an ad for a t-shirt that read “In gods we trust” would be unacceptable).
In addition, ads for religious products and services are prohibited.
Ads for non-religious products must not include any religious imagery or objects. This includes references to holidays or events with religious connections, such as Christmas, Diwali, etc. Campaigns that refer to Ramadan during that period are permitted.