Feature Rotator is the most visible placement of the Fire TV UI and is located above the fold on Home, Movies, TV, Apps, and Games tabs. Each of these tabs contains a placement with slots for six pieces of content. Feature Rotator ads are exclusive to entertainment advertisers.
Feature Rotator is composed of three assets: a background image, logo image, and trailer video. Below are details about each asset and additional requirements.
When highlighted via the remote, the initial static imagery is replaced with autoplay video, with audio enabled. After a moment, the video expands to fill the majority of the screen. At this point, the customer can use the left and right remote buttons to view other content items in the rotator or continue to watch the rest of the video.
When the short video concludes, the initial static image is shown once more as an end slate before additional content items in the rotator are automatically shown.
Once clicked, the customer will be taken to that content detail page where they can watch, buy, or download.
Highlighted, before playback begins
Static image shown after playback
|Image component||Raw asset requirement*||Final file requirement|
|Background image|| Dimension: 1920 x 720px or bigger|
Format: PSD (High-quality and layered)
|Dimension: 1920 x 720px|
Max file weight: 450kb
|Logo image||Dimension: 640 x 260px or bigger|
Format: PSD (High-quality and layered),
AI, EPS or SVG
|Dimension: 640 x 260px|
Max file weight: 450kb
|Video component||Dimensions||Max. File Weight||Format||Duration|
|Trailer||1920 x 1080px||500mb||MP4, M4V, MOV, MPEG||15–18s|
* Raw assets and a trailer video are mandatory. See our full Asset Checklist.
Dimensions: 1920 x 720px
Maximum file size: 450KB
- Use cinematic imagery: Use imagery that is engaging and provides context to the title.
- Use balance: Use imagery that has a sufficient amount of space on the left side where the logo will overlay.
- Use Depth: Varying depths of field in the image will provide a good backdrop.
- Place subject on the right: The main subject should be to the right side of the image.
- If an app is VSK-enabled: Include an Alexa Speech Bubble, ‘Alexa, play ___ on _____.” (See the guidelines for Voice Skills Kit-enabled apps.)
✘ Do not:
- Crop heads and faces: Use the safe zones to verify placement of heads and faces. Keep the top 237px free of key content and elements.
- Place subject left: The main subject should not be on the left side because the UI may obscure it.
- Embed logos or text: Logos and text should not be in the background unless following the guidance for legal text or Voice Skills Kit-enabled apps.
- Use busy imagery: Do not use imagery that has too many subjects or fine detail.
- Use graphics with white or light backgrounds: Predominantly white or light backgrounds do not provide enough contrast for UI elements.
1: Full image asset size for the logo
2: Content title logo
3: CTA text (optional)
4: Content provider logo
Dimensions: 640 x 260px
Format: 24-bit PNG (RGB color)
Maximum file size: 450KB
Additional text limit (exclude CTA text): 14 characters (US and UK); 18 characters (DE).
- Keep visual hierarchy clear: The most important information should have the highest visual priority (e.g. a content logo stands out from other logo elements)
- Keep the logo lockup left aligned and vertically centered.
- Keep the content visible: Logos should contrast with the background asset.
- Maintain a readable text scale: The CTA text should be at least 24pt Arial regular (or equivalent font). Consider removing extra lockup elements if they fall below 14pt.
- Use texture: Logos can contrast backgrounds with texture and effects.
- Use depth: The featured logo can use depth and perspective.
- Add a simple CTA below the title of the content: A call to action should have simple messaging, such as ‘Watch Now’ or ‘Catch Up.’
- Include event information, dates, and times if relevant. Examples are: ‘Watch the series finale on 9/8 at 8 PM ET’ or ‘Catch up before the season premiere on 9/8 at 8 PM ET’.
✘ Do not:
- Put excessive call-to-action or detail text in the logo area: Strongly avoid including more than 14 characters of text, in addition to text included in the primary lockup.
- Use Trademark symbols: A trademark symbol on either the title or advertiser logo is strongly discouraged and will be removed by default.
- Fill the entire area: Do not fill both the width and the height of the logo boundary.
- Export low-quality logos: Only use original, high-quality logos for export.
Dimensions: 1920 x 1080px
Maximum file size: 500MB
Format: MP4, M4V, MOV, MPEG
Video Codec: H.264
Video Bitrate: 12mbps+ preferred
Audio Bitrate: at least 128kbps
Loudness Level: -24 LKFS +/- 2dB
True Peak Level: -2dB
- Videos must meet all requirements. No edits will be made to the original assets..
- It is preferable to not show letterboxing in videos (black bars above and below). However, if the content being promoted uses letterboxing in the full-length video, then the trailer may feature letterboxing as well.
- Provide high-quality video: A high-bitrate video source prevents compression artifacts.
- Use a controlled volume: Make sure that the volume of the video is normalized (i.e. is not too low or too high).
- Make sure the resolution is correct: Videos should be at a resolution of 1920 x 1080px.
- Include a simple end slide with the provider's logo: Slide duration should not be longer than 3 seconds.
- Include key characters: Video should showcase key characters or scenes from the title that will excite/delight customers.
✘ Do not:
- Place key subjects outside the safe zone: The red area will be covered by semi-transparent UI elements. The following example will not be approved:
- Include sexualized content: Ensure the video does not contain any nudity or content of a sexual nature.
- Embed watermarks or logos: Videos must not contain watermarks or logos. The following examples are not permitted:
- Include violence/gore/explicit images: Ensure the video does not contain gore or scenes of violence or explicit language of a mature nature.
- Include drugs/alcohol: Ensure the video does not contain any depictions of illegal activities or consumption of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Make video too long or too short: Ensure the duration of the video is between 15 and 18 seconds.
- Add an overlay sales-like voice over to the video.
- Mention a URL or App in the end card in the video.
- Cut off any key portions of the scenes when cropping the video to the custom aspect ratio.
- Include subtitles in the video.
Content rating labels
Content rating label safe zone (background image)
A content rating label is required when the creatives on Feature Rotator are rated for audiences that are at least 12/13 years old. The content rating for a trailer and for the feature-length film or video can be different. Make sure to use the rating label for the film or video, even if the trailer is granted a less restricted rating. Content rating labels should be placed inside the green safe zone. A default position of the labels is included in the PSD template.
In cases where the content rating label doesn’t work well with the background image (e.g. overlaps with the key object), it can be placed in the logo image.
Use of unnecessary text, including “fine print,” copyright statements, and legal symbols is strongly discouraged. If added, text should be white or black, less than 60% opacity, set in 14pt Arial regular (or equivalent font), and placed unobtrusively in the bottom right corner of the background image, inside of the green safe zone shown above.
Guidelines for Voice Skills Kit-enabled apps
Voice usage through Feature Rotator and VSK-enabled apps allows customers to unlock a plethora of features. Creative for VSK-enabled apps should include an Alexa command and/or an Alexa speech bubble to give customers a visual reference of what they can ask Alexa.
There are two accepted treatment styles:
Include an Alexa speech bubble in the background image asset.
Thespeech bubble can havea flag inoneofsixpositions.Alwaysface the flag toward the speaker, even if that speaker is off frame.
Thespeechbubble usesBookerlyRegularItalic. Each utterance begins and ends with quotations and uses sentence case.
The size of the speech bubble is measured in relation to the corner radius. For two lines of copy, the speech bubble should be 4 units high. For one line of copy, it should be 3 units high.
The speech bubble should always be wider than it is tall.
The speech bubble is rendered in white witha 50% #232F3Estroke and aweight approximately20% of the point size of the type contained within. The typography should be #232F3E.
Include a command in the logo asset.