Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies
- Images provided should be high quality, professional, and visually appealing. They must be a 2-dimensional representation of the product. There should be minimal text on the image. Text must be legible and easily understandable to the average customer
- If the image contains a border, the border must be evenly distributed
- The creative design should be clean and simple
- The headline is clear, concise and accurate
- The book title and images are in a high resolution
- Aspect ratio for Kindle E-reader and Fire Tablet: The image must not have a height/width ratio exceeding 1.6:1
The following content is prohibited on images or titles:
- Human or animal abuse, mistreatment, or distress
- Glorifying or promoting the use of illicit drugs, drug paraphernalia or products to beat drug tests
- Profanity, including obfuscated or censored profanity
- Obscene, defamatory, libelous, illegal, invasive of another’s privacy, or contain hate speech
- Overtly provocative partial nudity or prurient content
- Realistic weapons displayed in a threatening or intimidating manner (see Image Restrictions below for further details)
- Threatening, abusive, harassing, or that discriminate or advocate against a protected group, whether based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other category
Title, Headline, and Custom Text (where available)
The following are prohibited on Title, Headline, and Custom Text:
- Unnecessary information
- Profanity, including obfuscated or censored profanity
- Special characters or symbols, including legal symbols (for example, ©)
- Email addresses or full or partial website URLs
- Sentences ending with article words (e.g., “Sample Book, The”)
- Sentences with multiple punctuation marks
- Pricing messages
- Emotionally draining or depressing messages
- Customer reviews, unless the specific review is contained in the book description on the detail page
- Third-party customer reviews or rating scores, third-party editorial reviews are acceptable
- References to the Amazon rating score
- References or acronyms related to certain sexual practices (such as BDSM, Dom, Sub or MMF)
- Phrases with an inappropriate or offensive double meaning
- References alluding to an incestualized romantic relationship
- Overly forceful phrases or exclamation points (e.g. “Don’t miss out!”, “HURRY - SAVE NOW”)
- Special offers, promotions or contests
- References to Kindle Unlimited (KU) or statements such as “Free on Kindle”
- Ad copies in ALL CAPS. Capitalization is only acceptable where the book cover or title on the detail page is formatted in the same way, or the word is a well-known abbreviation such as DIY (do it yourself) or YA (young adult).
Additionally, Title, Headline, and Custom Text:
- Must match the title and author text displayed in the image, and accurately represent the product being advertised
- Must be relevant to the book promoted in the ad
- Limited to Headline and Custom Text, should be in sentence case for Product Display, Headline Search Ads, and Sponsored Products
Scary or violent references and/or images
To ensure advertising is family friendly and appropriate for a general audience we do not accept advertising that contains the following:
- Children in adult situations or engaging in illegal activity
- Adults influencing or enticing minors with alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products;
- Children in peril, including verbal or physical abuse of children, excessive gunfire or weapons around children, or children or adolescents handling or using guns
- Overt references to or images implying or depicting rape and sexual molestation
- Realistic or excessive violence, brutality, scary images, graphic depictions of blood, open or sutured wounds, scenes of torture, dismemberments, or mutilations of bodies (including cadavers)
- Images of people or animals being abused, cruelty to animals, or people or animals on fire
Claims and Amazon brand usage
- If the ad refers to another title, it cannot imply surpassing the other book or its writer (for example, we would not approve “more suspenseful than [Other Book Title]”)
- Claims, awards, or accolades used in the headline or custom text must be supported on the product detail page or within the ad with the source and date of the designation. For example, a claim such as “Best Seller in the US” in the headline would require “Best Seller in the US, NY Times, March 2017” on the product detail page.
- Examples of claims, awards, or accolades which require substantiation include bestselling books, bestselling series, bestselling author, award-winning book, and award-winning author.
- Amazon Customer Reviews are acceptable, only if it is clear in the ad that it is an Amazon Customer Review and the review is contained in the book description or editorial review section on the detail page.
- Unpaid third-party editorial reviews are acceptable if they are attributed to the original source.
- Does not contain third-party customer reviews, star ratings or rating scores.
- Headline and custom text that mentions the name Amazon must comply with Brand Usage Guidelines and does not include the Amazon logo
- All language in the ad (Book titles and Custom text), must match the language of the main Amazon site.
- Ad Copy or Book Title must clearly state if the book is not in the language of the main Amazon site.
Unacceptable Books and Ad Content
All advertising content must be appropriate for a general audience, conform to Amazon’s Creative Acceptance Policies, and comply with all laws, rules, and regulations that apply to the advertiser, the advertising content, and any location where the advertisements may appear. As part of our commitment to provide the highest quality customer experience, it is our policy not to display ads containing or relating to certain products, services, or content that violates Amazon’s Creative Acceptance Policies.
- Erotica or books containing pornography
- Books glorifying or promoting the use of illicit drugs, drug paraphernalia or products to beat drug tests
- Books with content that is obscene, defamatory, libelous, illegal, invasive of another’s privacy, or contains hate speech
- Books with content that is threatening, abusive, harassing, or that discriminate or advocate against a protected group, whether based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other category
- Children: ads for books cannot be targeted to children through messaging, imagery, or other targeting. Ads directed toward parents or other adults are acceptable for children’s books
- LGBT: To protect customers and help ensure a trustworthy experience, we do not allow targeting related to purchase or browsing history about LGBT content, sexual orientation or sex-life. ASIN contextual targeting for related products (for example, we will allow LGBT related books alongside other LGBT content) is acceptable
- Non-fiction books with a central theme revolving around a specific religion are restricted to keyword-targeted ads only (Headline Search Ads and Sponsored Products) using keywords relevant to that religion or religion in general. Advertisers of religion-specific non-fiction books cannot use Product Display Ads
The following categories are not acceptable on Kindle E-reader and Product Display Ads:
- Diet and weight loss
- Dating and relationships, including weddings and divorce
- Personal misfortune: bankruptcy, mourning and grief, etc.
- Personal health issues: sexual dysfunction, etc.
To help provide a welcoming experience for all customers, we restrict political advertising at Amazon.
Acceptable for all ads:
- Works of fiction that have political themes.
- Non-fiction books about politics in general or political science.
Not acceptable for all ads:
- Books that contain a personal attack on a specific political candidate or elected official.
Not acceptable for Kindle E-reader:
- Non-fiction books about political candidates, parties or issues cannot be advertised on KSO; this includes autobiographies and memoirs.
Not acceptable during an active election period:
- Books about a specific political party, issue, or candidate
To help provide a welcoming experience for customers of all faiths and beliefs, we place the following restrictions on ads for non-fiction religious books:
Acceptable for all ads:
- Non-fiction books about religion in general
- Fiction books with religious themes
- Presence of a religious symbol (star of David, Crucifix, etc.), so long as there are no other violations.
- Non-fiction books with a central theme revolving around a specific religion are restricted to keyword-targeted ads only (Headline Search Ads and Sponsored Products) using keywords relevant to that religion or about religion in general. Advertisers of religion-specific non-fiction books cannot use Product Display Ads.
- Non-fiction religion-specific books are sacred texts (Qur’an, Bible, Bhagavad Gita, Guru Granth Sahib, etc.), commentary on these sacred texts, and educational or explanatory books about the specific religion
Guns and weapons
Acceptable for all ads:
- Military equipment and vehicles (tanks, warplanes, helicopters, etc.)
- Realistic firearms (such as guns, rifles), non-realistic firearms (such as ray guns) and similar weapons must not:
- be pointed at a character,
- be directed out toward the customer,
- be handled or associated with a minor,
- be shown in the act of firing (for example, bullets visibly exiting the weapon, smoke or other residue shown around the barrel), or
- be displayed in a violent or gruesome way.
- Images of swords, bows and arrows, and other weapons must not:
- be shown in a violent, threatening manner, for example in the process of injuring another character, or
- be displayed in a gruesome way (for example, covered in blood).
- Kindle E-Reader:
- (U.K Only): In addition to the above, images of bladed weapons including knives and swords are not acceptable.
Examples of acceptable gun book covers
Sexually suggestive images
- Ads that show people in poses emulating a sexual position or alluding to sexual activity whether clothed or unclothed
- Sexually suggestive poses: the parting of the legs, accentuation of the hip etc. along with amorous or sexually passionate facial expressions
- Poses such as hands on the hips, gripping of hair in conjunction with a sexually suggestive facial expression. Ads that draw undue attention to body parts, such as breasts or buttocks, in a sexual way
- Depictions of minors in sexual situations
- Facial or bodily expression indicative of an orgasm
- Images of suggestive undressing, such as pulling down a bra strap or underwear
- Models in sexual lingerie such as stockings, suspenders or paraphernalia such as whips and chains
- Provocative embraces or embraces in a provocative setting such as in a shower or on a bed
- Content that may be considered culturally inappropriate in the geographical location where the ad will be displayed
Kindle E-Reader restrictions
In addition to the above, the following are prohibited on Kindle E-Reader:
- Sexualized partial nudity that occupies a significant portion of the ad
- Sexualized partial nudity that contains a clearly visible waistline, below normal height
- Visually imposing images or text with the intent to intimidate or challenge the reader
Examples of acceptable and unacceptable book covers featuring sexual poses