Book ads creative acceptance policies
2. Ad format and functionality
These policies apply to Book Ads campaigns in Sponsored Products (“SP”), Sponsored Brands (“SB”), Sponsored Display (“SD”) and Lockscreen Ads for Kindle E-readers and Fire Tablets. All advertising content must be appropriate for a general audience. As the advertiser, you must comply with our Ad Policies for the ad campaigns that you run with Amazon. If your ads do not comply with our Ad Policies, your campaigns may be rejected until you fix the policy violation.
These Book Ads policies apply in all locales, unless we indicate otherwise, and are in addition to our Creative Acceptance Policies (CAP).
2.0 Ad format and functionality
3.0 Content requirements
The following content requirements apply to all elements of your ads.
3.1 Ad eligibility
Sponsored Brands requires authors and publishers to advertise a minimum of three unique titles. If you do not have three unique titles and wish to advertise different formats of the same title, you should consider creating Sponsored Products or Sponsored Display ads.
3.2 Prohibited content
We prohibit the following globally:
- Content that may be considered culturally inappropriate in the geographical location where the ad will display.
- Content that glorifies or promotes the use of illicit drugs, abuse of legal drugs, drug paraphernalia or products to beat drug tests.
- Contests or sweepstakes.
- Content that infers or claims to diagnose, treat, or question sexual orientation.
- Content that encourages or promotes vandalism, anti-social behavior, or the defacing of public or private property.
- Content that encourages or glorifies smoking.
- Content that claims to diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent a disease or addiction.
- Content that promotes practices that can result in the physical or mental harm of customers.
- Content that may infringe, encourage, or enable, the infringement of intellectual property or personal rights.
- Content that promotes practices that may be illegal or dangerous, or that encourage the evasion of law enforcement.
- Content that is threatening, abusive, harassing or that discriminates or shows hate based on race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expressions, age or toward any member of a protected class.
- Content that revolves around controversial or highly debated social topics.
- Children in adult situations or engaging in illegal activity, including, but not limited to children:
- Around alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products.
- In peril, such as verbal or physical abuse of children, or children handling firearms or shown around gunfire or weapons.
- Cruelty toward people or animals.
- Erotica, pornography, or explicit sexual practices or preferences.
- Excessive violence or gore, including, but not limited to:
- Brutality, graphic depictions of blood, open or sutured wounds, scenes of torture, dismemberments, or mutilations of bodies (including cadavers).
- Overt references to or images implying or depicting rape and sexual molestation.
- Exploitation of sensitive events such as natural disasters, human-caused disasters, incidents of mass drama, or the death of public figures.
- Fake functionality such as CTA buttons.
- Get-rich-quick schemes.
- Obscene, defamatory, libelous, illegal, invasive of another’s privacy.
Lockscreen Ads and Sponsored Display
In addition to the above, we prohibit the below on Lockscreen Ads and Sponsored Dispay (SD) globally. Please also review section 4 (Product Acceptability) for further restrictions on Lockscreen Ads and SD.
- Content related to personal or sensitive topics.
- Japan: Soft adult comic covers and Manga are not permitted.
- UAE: The following content are prohibited:
- Content that may undermine or criticize traditional Arab culture, its politics or its leaders.
- Content that related to non-traditional family relations.
- Content that may encourage political unrest or the disruption of public order.
- Content related to political disputes or armed conflict.
- Content related to Atheism, Paganism and Polytheism.
- Content related to real estate and real estate investing.
- Content related to educational services.
- Content related to horoscopes, fortune telling, black magic and similar occult themes.
Book Title, Headline, Custom Text (where available) and Images
Book Title, Headline, Custom Text or images must be relevant and accurately represent the book advertised, ads must not contain:
- ASCII art.
- Amazon logos, references to Kindle Unlimited (KU) or related claims such as “Free on Kindle” or "Borrow Now".
- Text in ALL CAPS, or casing such as CaMel CaSe.
- To uphold a high-quality creative bar for your ads, Amazon recommends that the Headline and Custom Text be in sentence case.
- Amazon permits capitalization or casing only if the book cover, title, author or publisher name on the detail page is formatted in the same way, or the word is a well-known abbreviation such as DIY (do it yourself) or YA (young adult).
- Excessive use of ellipses.
- Headline: Ellipses are prohibited unless the book title is formatted in the same way.
- Custom Text: You may only use a maximum of three ellipses in Custom Text: one at the start, one in the middle, and one at the end. The ellipses must be formatted as 3 periods consecutively without a space before or after the ellipses.
- Full or partial email or web addresses, phone numbers, hashtags, social media addresses, or QR codes.
- Emotionally draining or exploitive content (for example, a book on child raising with a distressed child in the image).
- Incomplete sentences.
- Misspellings or incorrect grammar and punctuation.
- Pressuring language that creates a sense of urgency for customers (e.g. “Don’t miss out!”, “HURRY - BUY NOW”).
- Price or other pricing messages in any part of the ad (for example, “Now for only $12.99” or “Buy now for half the price”).
- Profanity, including obfuscated or censored profanity.
- Phrases with an inappropriate sexual undertone or offensive double meaning.
- References alluding to an incestualized romantic relationship, or a romantic relationship with minors.
- References or acronyms related to certain sexual practices (such as Alpha, BDSM, Dom, Sub or MMF).
- Any reference to Amazon products and services in headline and custom text if they do not comply with the Brand Usage Guidelines and must not be presented in a way that confuses the ad with an Amazon ad.
- Special characters or symbols, including Intellectual Property symbols (for example, ©) unless they are part of the book title.
- Sentences ending with article words (for example, “Sample Book, The”).
- Sentences with multiple or excessive punctuation (for example, “!!!” or “The-Sample-Book”).
- Shipping claims.
3.3 Brand logo
Ads must include your brand name or logo so that customers can identify you as the advertiser.
If you do not have a brand logo, you can use the book front cover ASIN image instead. Your ASIN image must comply with our Image Guidelines.
3.4 Claims and substantiation
If you make a claim in your ad copy, that claim must not be contradicted in the product detail page.
Claims, awards, or accolades used in the Headline or Custom Text must be substantiated on the product detail page or in the ad with the source and date of the designation. For example, a claim such as “Best Seller in the US” in the headline would require “Best Seller in the US, NY Times, March 2019” on the product detail page or in the ad and must be no older than 18 months.
- Examples of claims, awards, or accolades that require substantiation include bestselling books, bestselling series, bestselling author, award-winning book, and award-winning author.
- Non-calendar dates associated with claims, awards or accolades are permitted, providing they are not presented in a misleading way. For example, ads must not claim “This year’s best book”…if the award was given last year.
- Amazon does not require additional substantiation for subjective claims that relate to an opinion, or that cannot be objectively proven. For example, “You’ll love XXX,” or “You will feel energized after reading this book.”
If your ad refers to another title, it cannot state or imply that your book is superior to the other book, author or its central character (for example, we would not approve “more suspenseful than [Other Book Title]”).
3.5 Customer reviews
- Multiple customer reviews cannot be combined into a single review.
- Customer reviews must be suitable for all audiences.
Amazon customer reviews and reviews by authors
We permit the use of Amazon Customer Reviews and reviews by Authors. Reviews must:
- Be verifiable in the book description or editorial review section on the product detail page.
- Not mention customer by name.
- Not be modified from its original form (shortening with ellipses is permitted).
- Not include rating score or star ratings.
- Editorial reviews are permitted and must cite to the original source in the ad, such as “What a great read, NY Times Editorial review.”
- Customer reviews are not permitted.
The language of the ad must match the language of the main Amazon site where the ad will display.
If the book title or content is in a foreign language the following conditions apply:
- The book title in the ad and product detail page must include a language disclaimer, such as “The Book I Wrote (French Edition)” or “Un Deux Trois (French Edition)”.
- Customizable headline or custom text, where applicable, must be in the language of the main Amazon site where the ad will display.
- Where possible, a local language translation of the book title should be in the book title, headline, or custom text.
Lockscreen Ads must display the language of the book on the book cover or within the custom text.
3.7 Seasonal events
If your headline or custom text contains a promotion for a specific single day holiday event such as Halloween, Valentine’s Day (such as “A Great Book for your valentines?”), then the dates for those campaigns must start within 8 weeks leading up to the event and must end within 24 hours after the event date, or a reasonable time after that, depending on the event.
For multi-day seasonal events such as Christmas, please ensure the campaign ends within a reasonable timeframe after the event, such as 7 days.
If you extend the campaign after the seasonal event ends, you must modify your headline or custom text by removing the messaging that no longer applies.
4.0 Product acceptability
All products advertised must be appropriate for a general audience, conform to Amazon’s Creative Acceptance Policies, and comply with all laws, rules, and regulations that apply to the advertiser, the advertising content, and any location where the advertisements may appear.
Amazon permits ads for books in most categories provided they comply with the content restrictions outlined in this policy. To help provide a welcoming experience to all customers we place additional restrictions on the categories listed in this section.
4.1 Books on drugs
The policies in this section cover books whose content is related to illegal drugs, drug abuse, and drug-related activities.
Ads must not:
- Promote or glorify the consumption or use of illegal drugs and related paraphernalia.
- Promote or glorify the abuse of legal or prescription drugs.
- Provide guidance on the preparation of drugs and related paraphernalia.
- Promote the drug trade.
- Make claims to cure drug addictions.
- Contain images of drug use.
- UAE: Book content related to illegal drugs, including images are prohibited.
4.2 Gambling books
The policies in this section cover non-fiction gambling books such as gambling tutorials or tips and tricks on how to gamble.
Sponsored Brands and Sponsored Products
Gambling book Ads may run in Sponsored Brands and Sponsored Products provided they do not:
- Encourage or glorify gambling.
- Promote or encourage gambling to solve financial problems.
- Link gambling to social, financial, or sexual success.
- Imply that the game is simple to play and win.
- Depict or refer to behaviors associated with gambling problems.
- Deny that gambling is risk free or leads to addiction.
Lockscreen Ads and Sponsored Display
Amazon prohibits non-fiction gambling books in Lockscreen Ads and Sponsored Display (SD).
- UAE: Books related to gambling are prohibited.
4.3 Political books
The policies in this section cover books related to elections, politicians, or that have politics as a central theme.
- Works of fiction with political themes.
- Non-fiction books about politics in general or political science (for example, an historical book about a former US president, or a book about the evolution of a political party in the past 100 years).
- Books that contain a personal attack on a specific political candidate or elected official.
- During an election cycle: Books about a specific political party, issue, or candidate.
Prohibited on Lockscreen Ads
- Books about a specific political party, issue, or candidate (including autobiographies and memoirs).
- UAE: Books about a specific political party, issue, or candidate are prohibited.
4.4 Religious books
The policies in this section cover books that have religious content.
- Non-fiction books about religion in general.
- Fiction books with religious themes.
- Non-fiction books with a central theme revolving around a specific religion.
- The keywords must be specific to that religion.
- Product targeting must be directly related to that religion.
Lockscreen Ads and Sponsored Display
The following books are prohibited on Lockscreen Ads and SD:
- Non-fiction books with religion specific content (such as sacred texts or commentaries on sacred texts).
- UAE: Religious texts are prohibited.
4.5 Romance books
Ads for Romance books may only feature minimal provocative content. Ads must not contain, nudity, overt sexuality, clearly prurient content, or sensitive words and titles.
- Please see section 6.3 Sexually suggestive images below (please note that additional image restrictions apply to Lockscreen Ads)
- Japan and UAE: Partial nudity and provocative content is prohibited.
4.6 Self-help books
The policies in this section cover books whose content is sensitive or personal in nature. The following book categories are prohibited on Lockscreen Ads and SD.
Diet and weight loss
Books that reference, or are marketed in way that focuses on weight management, weight loss or other weight related issues.
Books on financial failure (or success if marketed on the basis that it will solve financial problems), bankruptcy, and career changes.
Books on personal health issues such as sexual dysfunction, chronic illness, mental or physical diseases, addictions and recovery, or other sensitive conditions such as incontinence and anxiety.
Personal life events
Books on relationship and parenting issues, pregnancy, success or failure in dating, marriage, divorce and other personal or unfortunate life events such as dealing with mourning and grief.
4.7 Weight-loss books
Ads must not speak directly to customers, such as “Are you overweight?”, nor make any unrealistic or excessive claims, including, but not limited to:
- That customers can lose weight by merely by reading the book and without following a calorie-controlled diet or exercise program.
- That results are effective for everyone, or that they are permanent.
- Weight loss of a specific amount over a defined period of time.
- Substantial weight loss no matter what or how much the customer eats.
Sponsored Brands and Sponsored Products
Product targeting must be directly related to the product promoted.
Sponsored Display and Lockscreen Ads
Books whose primary purpose is to promote weight loss are prohibited on Sponsored Display and Lockscreen Ads.
5.0 Targeting guidelines
Ads must not target or appeal to children through messaging, imagery, or other targeting.
To protect customers and help ensure a trustworthy experience, we do not permit targeting related to purchase or browsing history based on certain personal characteristics. ASIN contextual targeting for related products is acceptable.
6.0 Image guidelines
In addition to the requirements above, the following content guidelines apply to the images in your ads.
6.1 Image quality
- Images must be high quality, professional, and visually appealing.
- The image must be a 2-dimensional representation of the book promoted.
- There can only be minimal text on the image.
- If the image contains a border, the border must be evenly distributed.
- Lockscreen images must have a width:height ratio between 0.6 and 1.
6.2 Images of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
Book covers cannot show images of the use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or drug paraphernalia.
Images should not encourage or glorify the use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs.
- Images of alcohol are prohibited.
- Images of drugs and related products are prohibited.
6.3 Images of weapons
Weapons include firearms, swords, cross bows and other inherently violent objects.
Ads may feature images of military equipment and vehicles (tanks, warplanes, helicopters, etc.).
Weapons (including realistic and non-realistic firearms, swords, bows and arrows, etc.) must not be shown:
- In a violent, threatening manner, for example in the process of injuring another character.
- In a gruesome way (for example, covered in blood).
- Pointed at a character.
- Directed out toward the customer.
- Handled by or associated with a minor.
- United Kingdom and UAE:
Lockscreen Ads: In addition to the above restrictions, we prohibit images of bladed weapons including knives and swords in the United Kingdom and UAE.
6.4 Sexually suggestive images
The policies in this section apply to both human and cartoon imagery.
The following are prohibited in all ads:
- Sexually suggestive poses emulating a sexual position or alluding to sexual activity, whether clothed or unclothed such as the parting of the legs or the accentuation of the hip, along with amorous or sexually passionate facial expressions.
- Ads that draw undue attention to body parts, such as breasts or buttocks, in a sexual way.
- Depictions of minors in sexual situations.
- Images of suggestive undressing, such as pulling down a bra strap or underwear.
- Models in sexual lingerie such as stockings, suspenders or paraphernalia such as whips and chains.
- Provocative embraces or embraces in a provocative setting such as in a shower or on a bed.
- Bare Skin: Images must be modest and must not contain sexually provocative content.
Examples of acceptable and unacceptable book covers
Due to the shared nature of Kindle E-readers or Fire tablets that may be used by any members of the household, including minors, Amazon applies a higher bar for ad content on these devices.
In addition to the above, Lockscreen Ads must not display:
- Partial nudity (such as a bare chest male model) that occupies a majority of the ad.
- Partial nudity that contains a clearly visible waistline, below normal height.
- Visually imposing images or text with the intent to intimidate or challenge the reader.