Amazon Stores Creative Acceptance Policies
Vendors and Sellers can create Amazon Stores through Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) or Seller Central. As Amazon Stores will become a native part of the Amazon shopping experience, they must uphold the high level of trust Amazon has established with our shopping customers.
It is the Vendor and Seller’s responsibility to comply with all applicable laws and rules and regulations that apply to the Vendor or Seller, the content of the Store, and any location where the Store appears. In addition, the Vendor or Seller must comply with Amazon’s Restricted Products Policies, and the following Creative Acceptance Policies and Guidelines for Amazon Stores.
1. Product Acceptability
The following types of products are prohibited for Amazon Stores:
- Adult products: Pornography or related content. See section 2. Restrictions for Products, for details on permitted adult products.
- Food and supplements: products containing ephedrine alkaloids, Salvia Divinorum or Salvinorin A. Also, products described as “Fat burners” either on the product package or within the Stores page.
- Hate and intolerance: products that promote hate, or that incite violence or intolerance, or that advocate or discriminate against a protected group, whether based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age or another category.
- Infant formula: infant formula, follow-on formula, and other baby milk products are not acceptable in EU or IN.
- Illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia: products that promote violating the law, that can be used for abusing drugs, or bypassing drug tests.
- Intellectual property: products or services that infringe, encourage, or enable, the infringement of intellectual property or personal rights
- Questionable & potentially dangerous activities: including (but not limited to) false document services, cable descramblers, fireworks, products that promote hacking, or evading law enforcement, products or services deemed to be used for privacy invasion.
- Tobacco: products containing tobacco, cigarette papers, e-cigarettes, and similar products (including non-tobacco and non-nicotine equivalents)
2. Restrictions for Products
- Adult Product Stores must only include adult products. Adult Product Stores cannot feature any non-adult products. Similarly, a non-adult store cannot include any adult products.
- The following are adult products and may only be featured in Adult Product Stores (this list is not exhaustive):
- Virility equipment and other sexual enhancing supplements and aphrodisiacs
- Erotic lingerie with an obvious sexual intent i.e. mesh material
- Erotic games, books, costumes and joke books
- Intimate sex products of a non-natural or generic design (lifelike or natural designs are not permitted)
- Massage oils, creams, candles, body paints & powders
- Comfort furniture (sans intimate appendages, cushion, and rests), poles
- Adult Product Stores must:
- Not contain any explicit or prurient content
- Not contain overtly sexual references, profanity or obfuscated profanity (for example, in the product title)
- Include the store brand logo or name displayed clearly in the hero image for all pages within the store
- Contain an “adults only” message in the hero image for all pages within the store
- Dedicate each store page to a single adult product category or to closely associated adult products
- Alcohol beverage stores are prohibited in CA, IN, FR, MX and the US
- Alcohol merchandise stores are prohibited in FR and MX
- Alcohol stores (beverage and merchandise) in all other countries must follow the below guidelines:
- All pages within the store must have the advertisers brand logo enabled in the hero image
- Stores cannot contain a mixture of alcohol and non-alcohol related products
- Non-alcoholic beverages must be clearly labelled on a different page within the store
- Alcohol image, video and text must promote the responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages and must not:
- show people actively engaged in drinking
- be directed toward, contain images or content designed to appeal to minors
- associate drinking with motor vehicles, driving or operating machinery
- disparage abstinence from alcoholic beverages
- irresponsibly incentivize people to drink
- promote excessive consumption, suggest therapeutic or other benefits to drinking (for example, that alcohol improves performance, contributes to success or solves problems)
- focus on the alcoholic strength of the beverage
- be associated with pregnancy, maternity or parenting
- Additional country-specific guidelines:
- DE, IT, and ES: Image, video or text cannot be associated with sports
- JP: Stores in Japan must contain the relevant alcohol disclaimer
- Products for children must not show the product being used in an unsafe way. For example, paddling pools or other products that could cause harm to the child if misused, must show the product being used under adult supervision.
Medical and weight-loss products
Art and industrial supplies
We permit Stores for art and industrial supplies that are intended and marketed only for home, industrial, automobile, or art-related uses. Products must not encourage or promote defacing of public or private property, vandalism, or anti-social behaviors.
The below products are prohibited in Stores:
- Graffiti-related paints, markers, creams, nozzles, refills, and “how-to” videos and other content.
- Etching creams.
- Caustic creams, gels, liquids, or similar solutions.
We permit Stores for home test kit products that do not claim to diagnose, treat, or assess the risks of a disease, condition, or ailment. You may promote only products that comply with applicable local regulations in all the locale(s) where your ads will show. You are responsible for obtaining all necessary authorizations or approvals from local regulatory authorities for the sale, distribution, or advertisement of the products that you intend to advertise with Amazon, as applicable.
Permitted products include, but are not limited to, diabetes and blood sugar monitoring kits; blood pressure monitors; ancestral, DNA, and personal genetic profiling kits; urinalysis kits; lancing devices (medical only); and pregnancy and fertility tests. These product categories are subject to locale-specific requirements, including the following:
- Ancestral, DNA, and genetic profiling testing kits are not permitted in France.
- All products in this category are not permitted in China, India, Mexico, and Japan.
- Stores for hemp-based products must not be associated with or encourage the consumption of illicit drugs, including the use of marijuana or cannabis imagery.
3. Image and Video Acceptability
General: images and videos must be high-resolution, meet the minimum specifications for the selected tile. They cannot be pixelated, obviously distorted or stretched. Videos cannot be longer than 5 minutes.
Text: text within images and video must meet copy requirements below. In addition, text must be legible in contrast against the image background and size—a minimum of 32 pixels high in Hero, an image gallery, or an Extra Large (full width) image tile and 16 pixels high for other image tiles.
Entertainment trailers: The content rating for the product must be displayed prior to the trailer starting. We cannot accept red-band, or age-gated trailers, nor can we accept trailers for movies rated NC-17, or video games rated AO or the local equivalent.
Prohibited content: content that falls under the following categories are ineligible for static images and videos. Note: this list does not apply to Entertainment trailers approved by the relevant content rating body.
- Children in dangerous or adult situations: displaying children in peril, around firearms, close to explosions, drinking alcohol or taking drugs, etc.
- Excessive violence or gore: characters that have excessive open wounds, are in the act of being attacked with weapons, dismemberment, graphic depictions of cadavers. Please note that the presence of blood without violence or open wounds, is not a reason to decline an image. Note: this is not reason to decline a video trailer.
- Images of actual or implied abuse: for example, humans or animals in distress, scenes of torture, molestation, actual or implied rape.
- Sexual images: partial nudity is not necessarily a reason for declining an image or video, providing the partial nudity is contextually appropriate and not sexual in nature (for example, a woman in a bikini, an image of someone working out, models wearing the underwear for sale). We should moderate the image based on how sexualized it is; the following would be unacceptable outside of entertainment trailers:
- Images that show people in poses emulating a sexual position or alluding to sexual activity whether clothed or unclothed
- Images that draw undue attention to body parts, such as breasts or buttocks, in a sexual way. For example, exposure of breasts or excessive focus on the cleavage
- Partial nudity along with a facial or bodily expression indicative of an orgasm
- Intimate Apparel: Images and video of intimate clothing, lingerie, and swimwear products may not be sexually explicit or obscene, as determined at the sole discretion of Amazon. In addition, images of such products must comply with the following rules:
- Images that show people in poses emulating a sexual position or alluding to sexual activity whether clothed or unclothed
- Images and video that display full nudity (breasts, genitalia, bare bottoms, and so on) are not permitted.
- Images and video with live models wearing sheer or opaque products might be permitted, provided that genitalia and breasts are not exposed or presented in a lewd or provocative manner. No bars or other types of graphics are permitted to cover exposed body parts.
- Thongs and panties must use front views for the main product image or video.
- Thongs and panties that do not provide full coverage in the front and back must have images or video that do not use a human model. Air-brushing is not permitted for exposed skin areas.
Adult Products: The following guidelines must be followed for all images and videos in Adult Product Stores.
- Images and videos must not contain any of the following:
- Nudity, including intimate body parts (i.e., genitalia, breasts, buttocks) obscured with hands, bars, stars or other graphics
- Intimate body parts must be covered with clothing
- Representations of human genitalia, including packaging
- Contours of male or female genitalia may be permitted if not sexually suggestive
- Profanities, including obfuscated profanities
- Images of child models or adult models representing children
- The product in use (for example, in video tutorials), including through lifestyle images or by mannequins, cartoons or other means
- Verbal descriptions and abstract illustrations of the products are permitted if the language is not offensive
- Overly provocative lewd or suggestive content
- Sexual activities or positions
- Sexually suggestive poses or gesticulations
- Aggressive or violent content
- Call to Action:
- CTAs in images and text must be clear and direct
- Non-specific calls to action, such as “Click here” are not permitted
- CTAs must link to a product detail page, product grid or another store page and must be relevant to the content of that page. Examples of acceptable CTAs include: Shop now, Learn More, See more, See details.
- Sentence case is recommended for all title and description text.
- Capitalized words for common abbreviations (such as DIY), or where the registered product or brand names are capitalized are acceptable.
- Ad Copy which combines random capitalized words with lowercase text are not permitted, for example “THIS headline is GREAT”
- Claims and comparative statements: We cannot accept superlatives or, unsupported or exaggerated claims. Supporting evidence from an independent source must accompany superlative claims made within your store. For example: “Best Seller in the US, NY Times, March 2016”. The supporting disclosure for the claim must be contained within the product or text tile. Ad copy cannot denigrate another company or product, for example, “better made than [company/brand/named product]”.
- Contact information: Amazon Stores cannot include phone numbers, email or physical addresses, nor link to sites outside of Amazon. Social media buttons, to follow the brand on Facebook, Twitter, etc. are permitted.
- Dynamic Amazon content: Due to dynamic customer ratings, sales ranking, prices, and savings at Amazon, static copy cannot include references to Amazon rating, rank, price, or savings.
- Featured Deals:
- The Featured Deals widget must be utilized to display Deals within Amazon Stores.
- The guidelines below must be followed where the Featured Deals widget is present in the store as a:
- component to a store page that also contains messaging or products that are not deal related:
(a) promotional messaging is only permitted in Text or Image Tiles directly above or adjacent to the widget
(b) store page cannot be titled “Sale”, “Discount”, “Deals” or other terms that imply a promotion
- (a) the store page can contain promotional messaging under the following conditions:
(b) the subpage: (i) should be appropriately titled. For example , “Sale”, “Discounts”, “Deals” or other terms that imply a promotion; (ii) in regards to product selection, should only contain the Featured Deals widget. Product grids and other dynamic product selection tiles are not permitted; and (iii) must include the advertiser logo or advertiser name in the Hero image
- Featured Deals promotional ad copy must:
- only use general promotional language such as:
- Discover our Savings/Discounts
- See our Savings/Discounts
- Savings on Brand or Product Name
- not include:
- words or phrases intended to create urgency. For example, “Today only” or “Buy Now”
- references to specific pricing or discounts (for example, $20 off or Save 5%)
- exclamation points, unless they are a part of the brand name
- Language: The language of the page should match the language of the main Amazon site.
- Links: Each page within the store should contain a clickable link to a product detail page or another page within the store
- Promotions: Time sensitive promotions are prohibited
- Spelling and grammar: All text must be spelled correctly; ASCII art is not acceptable.
5. Amazon Branding
- Amazon UI elements: images and videos cannot contain Amazon UI elements (such as Add to Cart buttons).
- Amazon programs: Benefits that are part of an Amazon program such as Subscribe & Save must be clearly attributed to those programs. When and how the saving applies must be clear to the customer. This is especially important with bundled offers.
- Add-on items: Add-on item pricing or Add-on item discounts (for example, “Save X%”) require a legal disclosure, such as “Minimum purchase required,” or “Add-on Item, see details.” Images displaying Add-on items with no price or discount information do not require a legal disclosure (for example, an ad showing breadth of selection or brand building.)
- Customer Reviews: Third-party customer reviews, star ratings or other elements that could be confused with Amazon Customer Reviews are not allowed. No changes can be made to Amazon Customer Reviews, including the correcting of spelling or grammar errors. Reviews with gross misspellings or significant grammatical errors must be avoided. To omit unwanted portions of a customer review, use ellipses (“…”) with no spaces before or after; truncations must not alter the meaning of the review. A maximum of three ellipses can be used in a customer review: one at the start of the review, one in the middle, and one at the end.