How to grow your brand's awareness and consideration on Amazon
By: Jess Chen, Associate Media and Analytics Manager, and Ashton Brown, Technical Writer
In this study, we analyzed over 6,400 brands in the Home category worldwide between June 2020 and September 2021. The Home Category includes brands selling products such as Bath & Laundry, Home Environment, Home Décor, Home Storage, etc. To perform our analysis, we grouped advertisers in the Home category into four clusters, with Cluster One being the most successful in terms of awareness + consideration Brand Metrics, and Cluster Four being the least successful.
To provide advertisers with actionable insights, we created a composite success score of Brand Metrics awareness year-over-year growth and Brand Metrics consideration year-over-year growth, and then identified the top advertising and retail strategies that helped increase the composite score with machine learning algorithms.
This article provides insights/best practices on the key attributes or strategies by quantifying the degree to which top-performing advertisers in the Home category (Cluster One) and lower-performing advertisers in the Home category (Cluster Four) have adopted each key attribute or strategy.
For more on how we performed this study, see the Methodology section at the end of this article.
A key method for supporting brand consideration and brand awareness is using Stores. Stores provide customers a single place to view a brand’s full suite of products, along with a brand’s story and mission. Throughout the period observed, 90% of top performers either launched or maintained an existing Store on Amazon, while 0% of lower-performing brands in the Home category launched or maintained a Store.
- Highlight products: Ensure that advertised products are displayed in the videos to better promote them and to drive the best outcome of Sponsored Brands video.
- Communicate key messages upfront and clear: On-screen text is another simple method to keep audiences connected with the brand and its message. Soundtracks are optional, as the same impact can be achieved with a clear message.
- Keep videos brief and focused: A video length of 15-30 seconds is ideal. Also, advertisers should focus on a few key points to provide customers with a clear and direct message.
Another insight identified using Brand Metrics is the campaign length when using Sponsored Brands. Top performers ran Sponsored Brands always-on campaigns for a median of 235 days, while lower performers only ran campaigns for a median of 47 days.
We recommend that advertisers run Sponsored Brands always-on campaigns year-round to help ensure that brand awareness and consideration remain high throughout the year. Advertisers may also want to consider running their campaigns longer than the suggested minimum to test if increasing the duration improves or decreases performance.
Similar to Sponsored Brands, our analysis found that Sponsored Display can always help brands to remain top performers ran Sponsored Display always-on campaigns (US data only) for a median of 259 days, compared to a median of 135 days for lower performers.
- Select brands: In this study, we analyzed 6,482 worldwide sellers in the Home category on Amazon between June 2020 and September 2021.
- Create success metric: We created a composite success score of Brand Metrics awareness year-over-year growth and Brand Metrics consideration year-over-year growth, and then identified the top advertising and retail strategies to help increase the composite score with machine learning algorithms.
- Identify effective ad or retail actions: We then use Pearson Correlation and XGBoost to assign features weights. We then use this list of attributes and perform cluster analysis among brands, so brands in the same cluster are similar in ad and retail attributes, while brands in different clusters are different in ad and retail attributes. These attributes are always-on measure such as Sponsored Products/Sponsored Brands/Sponsored Display activeness, Sponsored Brands targeting such as keyword targeting, Sponsored Display targeting such as targeting clauses, retail attributes such as reviews and average rating and Sponsored Brands campaign creative format such as Sponsored Brands video product collection and custom image.
- Group brands: We grouped campaigns by their success metrics and assigned them into four clusters. Leveraging 16 advertising actions, we then analyzed their impact on the success metrics.
- Compare brand groups: We identified what strategies top-performing brands (Cluster One) use to improve Brand Metrics awareness and Brand Metrics consideration, compared to strategies that lower-performing brands (Cluster Four) are or are not using.