Tata Tea builds consideration with Amazon DSP
Tata Consumer Products Limited (TCPL) is a focused consumer products company uniting the food and beverage interests of the Tata group under one umbrella. With a combined reach of over 200M households1 in India, it is home to key beverage brands including: Tata Tea, Tetley, Eight O’Clock Coffee, Tata Coffee Grand, Himalayan Natural Mineral Water, Tata Water Plus, and Tata Gluco Plus while Tata Salt, Tata Sampann, and Tata Soulfull are part of its food portfolio.
In May 2021, TCPL worked with Amazon Ads to build consideration for their premium tea brands, Tata Tea Gold and Gold Care. Tata Tea Gold, a leader in the black tea category, is a differentiated product made by blending 15% gently rolled aromatic long leaves with 85% Assam crush, tear, and curl (CTC) tea leaves. Gold Care, with its five natural ingredients, is a brand extension for wellness-seeking consumers.
Reaching relevant audiences
For Tata Tea Gold, the brand wanted to reach urban women in the 25–45 age group, while for Gold Care, they wanted to reach consumers seeking well-being in their everyday tea. The Amazon Ads team constructed a media plan that worked backwards from the customer. This involved building audience personas using internal Amazon Audience intelligence solutions. Consumers looking for grocery, health and nutrition, and household supplies products and people likely to have children in their household emerged as relevant audience signals to replicate the brand’s audience.
Amazon DSP was then leveraged to reach the relevant audiences through display and video ads on third-party sites and apps. The ad creatives focused on the unique features of the tea brands for the display ad creatives. For example, the ads for Tata Tea Gold emphasized product features like "rich taste" and "irresistible aroma," and the Gold Care video communicated its 5 natural ingredients within 6 seconds.
The Amazon Ads team used a test-and-learn approach to find an optimal landing page. For the first two weeks, 100% of traffic was directed to a shopping results page of all the promoted ASINs for the respective products. Next, two landing page options were tested: (i) 70% of traffic was directed to a landing page2 comprising all promoted ASINs (to create awareness) and (ii) 30% of traffic was routed to the detail pages of best-selling ASINs (to increase consideration). This combination improved the cost-per-detail page view by 30%.
Increasing share of consideration
The campaign achieved a total click-through rate of 0.69%, which was ~95% higher than the internal Amazon Ads benchmark for the Grocery category3, with an effective cost per reach of INR 0.14 (~39% lower than the internal Amazon Ads Grocery category benchmark4). The campaign resulted in 101% increase in share of product detail pages for Tata Tea Gold and a 269% increase in share of product detail pages for Gold Care on amazon.in.
Whilst Amazon Seller Services Private Limited ("Amazon") has used reasonable endeavors in compiling the information provided, Amazon provides no assurance as to its accuracy, completeness or usefulness or that such information is error-free. Amazon does not guarantee similar results for prospective brands since the results are dependent on various factors which are not under Amazon’s control. Amazon hereby disclaims any and all liability and assumes no responsibility whatsoever for consequences resulting from use of such information. You agree to use the information, at your own risk and expressly waive any and all claims, rights of action and/or remedies (under law or otherwise) that you may have against Amazon arising out of or in connection with the use of such information. Any copying, redistribution or republication of the information, or any portion thereof, without prior written consent of Amazon is strictly prohibited.