Samsung drives awareness and reach for the launch of the Galaxy S10 Lite
Samsung is one of the world’s largest producers of electronic devices. The company has become one of the most recognizable names in technology, and it produces about a fifth of South Korea’s total exports.
Samsung was looking to drive brand awareness, consideration, and sales for the new Galaxy S10
For the UK launch of its new Galaxy S10 Lite handset, Samsung wanted to drive brand awareness, marketing reach, consideration, and sales, amongst new and existing UK customers, both on and off Amazon. But they were operating in a highly competitive environment, with an overall decline in demand. Worldwide smartphone shipments decreased 11.7% year over year in Q1 2020.1 Plus, Samsung had to cut through the noise of the Galaxy S20 flagship model, in order to promote the S10 Lite amongst UK audiences. To achieve their objectives, the brand needed to engage relevant audiences with curated creative experiences, and measure the impact across a range of media formats.
Samsung implemented a full-journey campaign strategy to engage relevant UK audiences
Samsung leveraged Amazon Ads audience insights and planning tools to build a campaign strategy around relevant audiences. The S10 Lite campaign focused on three audiences: heavy users, photography lovers, and 5G adopters.
Media campaign and creative execution:
Samsung engaged each audience with tailored creative messages at different stages of the shopping journey using various tactics. The brand implemented a high-impact media campaign across Alexa, Fire TV, Fire Tablet, and IMDb to increase awareness and consideration. The campaign creative execution featured a selection of visually engaging movies on IMDb promoting the new Galaxy S10 Lite. Samsung leveraged Amazon DSP to reach audiences on and off Amazon to help maximize exposure. The mobile brand also used curated audio ads on Amazon Music’s free ad-supported tier to help promote its new smartphone release amongst younger audiences.
Samsung completed the experience by using Sponsored Brands, engaging customers actively browsing in the mobile category, to help generate conversions and sales.
The campaign exceeded Samsung’s expectations in terms of reach, awareness, and consideration
- Samsung reached over 11MM consumer electronics customers, across all placements, beating category detail page view rate benchmark by 41%.2
- Audio ads achieved 98% audio completion rate, generating 18% lift in product awareness and 64% lift in organic impressions.3
- Samsung measured an increase of 763% in product views for the Galaxy S10 Lite, and a 29% lift in post-campaign sales on amazon.co.uk.4
- Display ads influenced 20% of Samsung S10 Lite sales on Amazon.co.uk.5
- Lower-funnel conversion benefited from the display halo with a 206% WoW return on ad spend (ROAS) lift on sponsored ads.6
– Caroline Hay, Head of IM Channel Marketing, Samsung SEUKWorking with Amazon Ads enabled us to leverage unique insights to engage new audiences for the release of the Galaxy S10 Lite. This full-journey campaign generated excellent results in terms of reach, awareness and sales.
Learn more about consumer electronics advertising.
1 International Data Corporation, April 2020
2 Amazon internal data, July 2020
3 Kantar Millward Brown study, July 2020
4 Amazon internal data, July 2020
5 Amazon internal data since launch and inclusive of 14-day attribution window
6 Amazon internal data since launch and inclusive of 14-day attribution window
7 New-to-brand metrics determine whether an ad-attributed purchase was made by a customer buying a brand’s product on Amazon for the first time over the past year.
- 11MM customers reached in the smartphone category on Amazon
- +67% new-to-brand customers on Amazon DSP7
- +12% click-through rate (CTR) above wireless phones benchmark
- 98% audio ads completion rate
- +29% post-campaign sales