How Bom Dia Brands and Quartile developed a plan to drive increased sales with Amazon Ads
Bom Dia Brands is a small business and a registered seller on Amazon that takes pride in their cup of joe. They create small-batch flavored coffees that avoid the use of any artificial additives, and offer different lines of coffee products.
Bom Dia Brands’ leadership team viewed Amazon as an important store to scale their brand. “We sell on Amazon because they have millions of loyal shoppers every day; Amazon represents an important place to scale our brand,” said Rachel Gutierrez, partner at Bom Dia Brands.
Agency partnership: Working with Quartile
Bom Dia knew that they needed a partner that could help them increase their Amazon sales and return on ad spend. They chose to work with Quartile, a digital marketing and technology company that offers both software and Amazon Ads campaign management services. Quartile enables brands and agencies to scale campaigns using Amazon Ads products, and their proprietary technology allows them to optimize ad performance.
Leveraging Quartile’s knowledge of Amazon, Quartile developed a comprehensive strategic approach spanning a variety of techniques and Amazon Ads products:
- Optimizing product detail pages on Amazon. The first element of Quartile’s strategic approach involved creating high-quality product detail pages for Bom Dia on Amazon. Quartile wanted to make sure that when potential shoppers landed on a Bom Dia product detail page, the experience was tailored for them. Refining product detail page images and descriptions gave shoppers the necessary information to consider purchasing the product.
- Keyword optimization. Quartile revised 150+ products for back-end keyword optimization by adding keywords into the “Search Keywords” field on their product submission form. Quartile knew these hidden keywords were important in the category based on previous learnings and would help shoppers find Bom Dia’s products.
- High-quality imagery. Quartile added professional, high-resolution images on each product detail page.
- Bom Dia Brands Store: Next, they turned their attention to updating Bom Dia Brands’ Store. Stores is a way for Bom Dia Brands to promote their brand and products with a free, multipage experience on Amazon. Quartile added more products, imagery, and descriptions to help aid in overall conversion from consideration to purchase.
Once Bom Dia’s product pages and Store had been revamped, Quartile used Sponsored Products and Sponsored Brands to help maximize visibility for Bom Dia Brands across Amazon and drive traffic to the Store.
They used Sponsored Products and Sponsored Brands to target relevant keywords and aid in boosting overall conversions and increasing sales. Quartile chose not to set an end date for these campaigns, as they encourage all their clients to embrace an always-on strategy for their Amazon Ads efforts. Bom Dia Brands has found value in this approach as it helps ensure consistent visibility and sales opportunities in the competitive coffee category.
Quartile and the Amazon Ads API
Quartile uses its proprietary software that leverages the Amazon Ads API. Through the Amazon Ads API, Quartile's software solution can access performance data for sponsored ads campaigns at scale. Their software uses the latest performance data to make real-time changes to their campaigns based on performance.
The Amazon Ads API allows Quartile to make a series of strategic campaign tweaks each day to improve the performance of Bom Dia’s campaigns. These campaign adjustments could include updates across keywords, target products, bids, budgets, and placement targeting. For example, in Sponsored Products campaigns, if a keyword in a Bom Dia campaign has an ACOS (advertising cost of sales) above 100%, the system will automatically lower the bid to try improve the overall return on that particular keyword. For Sponsored Brands, they can update Bom Dia's bid modifiers based on the overall placement performance for each keyword to drive impressions to the placements that are helping them achieve Bom Dia's goals.
The automation afforded by the software solution helped save Quartile time and effort, while allowing Bom Dia Brands to achieve their goals of a lower ACOS and a higher total sales attributed to advertising.
As a result of these combined efforts, and with the strong strategic guidance from Quartile, Bom Dia Brands saw multiple improvements as of June 2019:
- Over 23MM impressions
- 102% year-over-year increase in sales attributed to advertising
- 28% ACOS (advertising cost of sales)
Gutierrez said, “We definitely recommend sponsored ads to any advertiser, as it is a great way to give your products the visibility they need and increase sales on Amazon. Additionally, we found that having an agency to provide the tools and expertise helped improve return on ad spend.”