Fire TV guidelines and acceptance policies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Our philosophy is that relevant and timely advertising can enhance the Fire TV experience and drive better results for our advertisers. All advertising content must be appropriate for a general audience and must comply with all laws, rules and regulations that apply to the advertiser, the advertising content and the location in which the advertisements appear. Fire TV ads must adhere to the existing Amazon Ads guidelines and acceptance policies.
1.0 Core ad policies
All display ads running on Fire TV must:
- Be in the primary official language of the targeted locale.
- Comply with ad product technical specs.
- Be easily understandable and clearly identify the product, service or entity advertised. They must contain the advertiser’s brand name or logo. For entertainment advertisers, the title of the product (e.g. a movie title) is sufficient.
1.1 Pricing and savings
All pricing, saving and discount information are restricted to Fire TV inline banners and Feature Rotator for Entertainment subscriptions only. For example, a Prime Video Channels subscription.
They must be accurate, complete, not misleading and relevant to the location advertised. Low estimates that may trick customers into booking services only to be charged higher rates later when the service is provided are not accepted.
Prices and savings listed in ads must accurately reflect the offer, and the offer must be available until the end of the campaign. Ads must always communicate when prices are subject to change and if conditions or restrictions apply. See Disclosures and Legal Symbols for more details about subscriptions.
All ads must always geographically target locations that are served unless the product or service advertised is available nationwide.
Display ads cannot target or address specific communities or ethnicities.
1.3 QR codes
QR codes may be used on the landing page only and must drive to a mobile optimized web page.
1.4 Amazon branded elements
The use of Amazon customer reviews is prohibited.
Any other references to Amazon or its products (for example, the use of Amazon trademarks) must comply with the Brand Usage Guidelines.
The use of Amazon trademarks (such as Gold Box, Deal of the Day, Super Saver Shipping, Today’s Deals, Subscribe & Save, Kindle, Amazon Family and Look Inside the Book) requires approval from Brand (for proactive requests), Trademark (for reactive requests) and the Product team (if applicable).
We prohibit the use of “Amazon’s Choice” and “Amazon Best Seller” by advertisers. These elements refresh frequently and may not remain accurate for the duration of the campaign on Fire TV and apps.
2.0 Prohibited content
It is our policy not to accept Fire TV ads containing or relating to certain types of content. This includes, but is not limited to.
- Special offers
- Editorial reviews
- Calls to action
- Content that is directed at children due to the nature of the messaging, imagery or targeting
- Content that shows children in adult or dangerous situations*
- Content deemed mature, sensitive, or controversial, including provocative imagery*
- Content that is emotionally exploitative or controversial, or content that uses negative depictions of humans or animals*
- Content that depictions interpersonal violence
- Content that depicts realistic or excessive scary images, violence, brutality or gore
- Content depicting anti-social or dangerous behaviour, including vandalism or bullying*
- Content that is obscene, defamatory, libellous, illegal or invasive of another’s privacy
- Content that encourages, glamorizes or depicts excessive consumption of drugs or alcohol*
- Content that is threatening, abusive or harassing, or content that advocates or discriminates against a protected group (whether based on race, colour, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age or any similar or other category)
- Deceptive, false or misleading content
- Exaggerated claims
- Foul, vulgar or obscene language or scatological references
- Hate speech – inciting or advocating violence or racial intolerance
* Entertainment campaigns may be approved.
3.0 Prohibited products and services
Fire TV ads are displayed in multiple person households. As part of our commitment to provide the highest quality customer experience, it is our policy not to take display ads on Fire TV if they promote the sale or use of certain products or services. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Alcohol brands/manufacturers/beverages
- Adult incontinence products
- Adult/sexual services or adult clubs
- Aerosol paint
- Airsoft/BB guns, paintball guns
- Alcohol beverages and manufacturers
- Apps incompatible with Fire TV
- Anti-radiation products (including electromagnetic field protection and radiation neutralizing or shielding products)
- Baby formula
- Bows and arrows, slingshots and other projectile weapons
- Charities and non-profit organizations
- Contests, competitions and prize draws
- Coupon sites
- Cryptocurrency exchanges, initial coin offerings and binary options
- Dating sites, apps and services
- Drug paraphernalia or products to beat drug tests
- Escort services, adult dating, sex toys and merchandise
- Etching creams
- Fat burners and fat blockers
- Feminine care products
- Fertility clinics and research
- Financial Services
- Foods and supermarkets (QSRs are approved)
- Free non-Kindle eBooks
- Get-rich-quick and pyramid schemes
- Gift cards
- Handgun safety certificates
- Healthcare products and services including weight loss
- Hunting and shooting gear and apparel
- Illicit and legalized drugs such as cannabis and related products, as well as products that contain hemp (including brick and mortar shops)
- Instant formula
- Job sites
- Legal services
- Loan products
- Loyalty/affinity/rewards and related content
- Mail order brides
- Malware, scareware, spyware
- Medical procedures, equipment and research solicitations
- Non-Amazon branded devices that include: tablets, streaming media players, voice-operated assistants
Oils, supplements, or ingestible that are derived from or contain hemp, cannabidiol (CBD), THC or otherwise related to cannabis; topical CBD products
- Online gambling, sports betting and fantasy football
- Online pharmacies
- Pay Over Time services
- Pharmaceutical products including incontinence and weight loss (non-sensitive OTC products may be approved on a case-by-case basis)
- Political party-related and/or issue-related messages
- Pornography, products claiming to enhance sex and adult/sexual content
- Pre-natal gender selection and determination test products and services
- Premium pay-per-call services, such as 900 numbers
- Products, services, or technology that infringes, encourages, or enables the infringement of the intellectual property or personal rights of others
- Products, services or technology that promotes any illegal or dangerous activity, including hacking or evading law enforcement
- Product recalls
- Professional services
- Psychics, astrology and related offers
- Public Service Announcements
- Real estate
- Red band trailers and content rated NC17 and AO (or local equivalents)
- Recruitment offers
- Religious or spiritual services
- Secondary ticket re-sellers (AU/NZ)
- Security products
- Sexual wellness products
- Shock collars (Multi-purpose pet collars with shock are permitted but must not show any shock settings in use) and pinch or choke collars
- Short-term, high-interest loans (e.g. “payday lenders”)
- Smoking cessation products
- State lotteries
- Undergarments/intimate apparel
- Tattooing and body branding products and services (tattoo care creams can be permitted)
- Testosterone boosters
- Tobacco or tobacco-related products, including e-cigarettes and nicotine pouches
- UV tanning services and equipment
- Weapons, firearms, ammunition and related parts or accessories
- All knives and other bladed objects except for kitchen knives, cutlery or silverware (NL only)
4.0 Restricted content
4.1 Alcohol and drugs
Amazon prohibits ads that glamorize, encourage, promote or glorify drinking or smoking, or that depict their excessive consumption or the use of illicit drugs. Ads cannot depict the use of drugs, drug paraphernalia, tobacco or tobacco-related products. Cartoon images will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by Amazon Ad Policy.
4.2 Blood and gore
We do not accept imagery that shows significant blood or other injuries. Minor scrapes or scratches and minimal amounts of darkened blood are acceptable targeting customers in market for content rated 13+ and day-parting from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
4.3 Entertainment ratings
Ads for content rated 18+ are prohibited.
Entertainment ads for content approved by content rating bodies as appropriate for audience categories aged 12/13 or older is acceptable; however, the content in the creative must be appropriate for all audiences. The creative must include the content rating bug if leading directly to a video promotes a film, or video game restricted to an audience of 12/13 years of age or older.
4.4 Scary and distressing content
Intense or eerie images that may frighten or upset children are not acceptable. However, Amazon may approve suspenseful content on a case-by-case basis, targeting customers in market for content rated 12/13 and above.
4.5 Sex, nudity and bare skin
While we allow 15+ shows to be promoted, we will not approve a mature or mildly suggestive content.
4.6 Weapons and firearms
Weapons that are shown in a violent or threatening manner, for example covered in blood, are prohibited in static ads. Firearms seen in non-video ads cannot be pointed at a character, directed out toward the customer, and/or shown in the act of firing (such as bullets visibly exiting the weapon or smoke shown around the barrel). These ads must target customers in market for content rated 12/13 and above.
5.0 Restricted products and services
Amazon may take alcohol ads in Japan, Canada, United Kingdom and Europe, providing that they run in in-line banners only and are approved by Ad Policy.
Alcohol banners are blocked in all Fire TV and IMDb TV placements and in all other locales.
Alcohol ads may run from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in CA, UK and EU, and from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. in Japan.
Alcopops are not permitted as they are commonly associated with underage drinking.
Ads for the sale of alcohol in CA, UK and EU must link-in.
We prohibit campaigns from third-party alcohol retailers.
Alcohol ads must also promote the responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages and cannot:
- Be directed toward or contain content designed to appeal to minors
- Associate drinking with motor vehicles or driving
- Disparage abstinence from alcoholic beverages
- Irresponsibly incentivize people to drink
- Promote excessive consumption
- Suggest therapeutic or other benefits to drinking (for example, that alcohol improves performance, contributes to personal success or solves problems)
- Focus on the alcoholic strength of the beverage
- Be targeted to Amazon Family or Prime Students
Automotive ads may only run in Fire TV inline banners, clicking to a video.
All offers must be accurate, relevant, and must mention if conditions or restrictions apply when the ad promotes:
- Aftersales such as services, fittings, repairs or maintenance
- Brand or Dealership awareness including, but not limited to, stocks, location, business hours
- Business to business offers
- Sales offers including leasing or financing quotes, rates and starting prices
The policies in this section cover ads for financial products and services that may only be approved in inline banners, clicking to a video.
5.3 Financial products and services
5.3.1 Banking and investments
Advertisers must only target those geographic locations where they are licensed and also meet all applicable licensing requirements in each of the locations. Where required by local law/regulations, ads must adequately inform the customer or any risks or costs associated with the product.
Ads for credit services cannot encourage customers to take out credit or loan to shop online.
We prohibit ads for the following products and services:
- Cryptocurrencies, cryptocurrency exchanges, initial coin offerings (ICO)
- High-risk options of derivative products (including, but not limited to, binary option and spread betting)
- Get-rich-quick and pyramid schemes
- Short-term high-interest loans (including, but not limited to, “payday” loans), with a repayment period under 12 months and an APR of more than 50% or as otherwise prohibited by applicable law
5.3.2 Credit cards
Credit card acquisition campaigns are not approved.
5.3.3 Insurance products
Insurance products include, but are not limited to: auto insurance, mortgage insurance, life insurance and travel insurance.
To ensure that ads will not be restricted to a 5 p.m. – 6 a.m. schedule, ads must focus on the positive outcome of insurance products (e.g. “Rest assured that your home is protected”) rather than negative emotions like fear or anxiety (e.g. “If there was a house fire, could you lose everything?”).
5.3.4 Loan products
Loan products that include, but are not limited to, home equity, credit card cash advances and education cannot be advertised.
5.4 News and journalism
Sponsored Tile ads that promote News apps must be unbiased and impartial.
We do not accept ads that:
- Advocate or demean a political party, candidate, program, ideology or organization
- Leverage fear, tragedy or critical events
- Imply false official government association