- Images provided should be high quality, professional, and visually appealing. They must be a 2-dimensional representation of the product. There should be minimal text on the image. Text must be legible and easily understandable to the average customer
- If the image contains a border, the border must be evenly distributed
- The creative design should be clean and simple
- The headline is clear, concise and accurate
- The book title and images are in a high resolution
- Aspect ratio for Kindle E-reader and Fire Tablet: The image must not have a height/width ratio exceeding 1.6:1
We do not allow:
- Images of human or animal abuse, mistreatment, or distress
- Images or titles glorifying or promoting the use of illicit drugs, drug paraphernalia or products to beat drug tests
- Images or titles that are obscene, defamatory, libelous, illegal, invasive of another’s privacy, or contain hate speech
- Images or titles that may be interpreted as threatening, abusive, harassing, or that discriminate or advocate against a protected group, whether based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other category
Title, Headline, and Custom Text
Note that Custom Text guidance is only relevant to the US.
- Must not contain any additional unnecessary information or foul, vulgar, or obscene language, including censored words that indicate foul, vulgar, or obscene language
- Must not contain special characters or symbols, including legal symbols (for example, ©)
- Must not contain email addresses or full or partial website URLs
- Must not end with article words (e.g., “Last of the Mohicans, The”)
- Must match the title and author text displayed in the image, and accurately represent the product being advertised
- Must not end with any punctuation marks other than a single question or exclamation mark
- Headline and Custom Text should be in sentence case for Product Display, Headline Search Ads and Sponsored Products
- We cannot accept ad copy in ALL CAPS. Capitalization is only acceptable where the book cover or title on the detail page is formatted in the same way, or the word is a well-known abbreviation such as DIY (do it yourself) or YA (young adult)
Please ensure that the headline and custom text:
- Is relevant to the book promoted in the ad
- Does not contain any pricing messages
- Does not present customers with emotionally draining or depressing messages
- Does not contain customer reviews, unless the specific review is contained in the book description on the detail page
- Does not contain third-party customer reviews or rating scores, third-party editorial reviews are acceptable
- Does not refer to the Amazon rating score
- Does not use overly forceful phrases or exclamation points (e.g. “Don’t miss out!”, “HURRY - SAVE NOW” are not acceptable)
- Does not contain any special offers, promotions or contests
Scary or violent references and/or images
To ensure advertising is family friendly and appropriate for general audience we do not accept advertising that contains the following:
- Children in adult situations or engaging in illegal activity
- Adults influencing or enticing minors with alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products;
- Children in peril, including verbal or physical abuse of children, excessive gunfire or weapons around children, or children or adolescents handling or using guns
- Overt references to or images implying or depicting rape and sexual molestation
- Realistic or excessive violence, brutality, or scary images; graphic depictions of blood or open wounds; or scenes of torture, dismemberments, or mutilations of bodies (including cadavers)
- Images of people or animals being abused, cruelty to animals, or people or animals on fire
Claims and Amazon brand usage
- If the ad refers to another title, it cannot imply surpassing the other book or its writer (for example, we would not approve “more suspenseful than [Other Book Title]”)
- Claims, awards, or accolades used in the headline or custom text must be supported on the product detail page or within the ad with the source and date of the designation. For example, a claim such as “Best Seller in the US” in the headline would require “Best Seller in the US, NY Times, March 2017” on the product detail page.
- Examples of claims, awards, or accolades which require substantiation include bestselling book, bestselling series, bestselling author, award-winning book, and award-winning author.
- Amazon Customer Reviews are acceptable, only if it is clear in the ad that it is an Amazon Customer Review and the review is contained in the book description or editorial review section on the detail page.
- Unpaid third-party editorial reviews are acceptable, if they are attributed to the original source.
- Does not contain third-party customer reviews, star ratings or rating scores.
- Headline and custom text that mentions the name Amazon must comply with Brand Usage Guidelines and does not include the Amazon logo
- All language in the ad (Book titles and Custom text), must match the language of the main Amazon site.
****** Ad Copy or Book Title must clearly state if the book is not in the language of the main Amazon site.
Unacceptable Books and Ad Content
All advertising content must be appropriate for a general audience, conform to Amazon’s Creative Acceptance Policies, and comply with all laws, rules, and regulations that apply to the advertiser, the advertising content, and any location where the advertisements may appear. As part of our commitment to provide the highest quality customer experience, it is our policy not to display ads containing or relating to certain products, services, or content that violates Amazon’s Creative Acceptance Policies.
- Erotica or books containing pornography
- Books glorifying or promoting the use of illicit drugs, drug paraphernalia or products to beat drug tests
- Books with content that is obscene, defamatory, libelous, illegal, invasive of another’s privacy, or contains hate speech
Books with content that is threatening, abusive, harassing, or that discriminate or advocate against a protected group, whether based on race, color, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other category
- Children: ads for books cannot be targeted to children through messaging, imagery, or other targeting. Ads directed toward parents or other adults are acceptable for children’s books
- LGBT: To protect customers and help ensure a trustworthy experience, we do not allow targeting related to purchase or browsing history about LGBT content, sexual orientation or sex-life. ASIN contextual targeting for related products (for example, we will allow LGBT related books alongside other LGBT content) is acceptable
- Non-fiction books with a central theme revolving around a specific religion are restricted to keyword-targeted ads only (Headline Search Ads and Sponsored Products) using keywords relevant to that religion or religion in general. Advertisers of religion-specific non-fiction books cannot use Product Display Ads
Due to the personalized nature of Kindle E-reader, the following categories are not acceptable:
- Diet and weight loss
- Dating and relationships, including weddings and divorce
- Personal misfortune: bankruptcy, mourning and grief, etc.
- Personal health issues: sexual dysfunction, etc.
To help provide a welcoming experience for all customers, we restrict political advertising at Amazon.
Acceptable for all ads:
- Works of fiction that have political themes.
- Non-fiction books about politics in general or political science.
Not acceptable for Kindle E-reader:
- Non-fiction books about political candidates, parties or issues cannot be advertised on KSO; this includes autobiographies and memoirs.
- Books that contain a personal attack on a specific political candidate.
Not acceptable during an active election period:
- Books about a specific political party, issue, or candidate
To help provide a welcoming experience for customers of all faiths and beliefs, we place the following restrictions on ads for non-fiction religious books:
Acceptable for all ads:
- Non-fiction books about religion in general
- Fiction books with religious themes
- Presence of a religious symbol (star of David, Crucifix, etc.), so long as there are no other violations.
- Non-fiction books with a central theme revolving around a specific religion are restricted to keyword-targeted ads only (Headline Search Ads and Sponsored Products) using keywords relevant to that religion or about religion in general. Advertisers of religion-specific non-fiction books cannot use Product Display Ads.
- Non-fiction religion-specific books are sacred texts (Qur’an, Bible, Bhagavad Gita, Guru Granth Sahib, etc.), commentary on these sacred texts, and educational or explanatory books about the specific religion
Guns and weapons
Acceptable for all ads:
- Images of non-realistic firearms that are clearly fantasy weapons (ray guns, Star Trek–style phasers, etc.)
- Military equipment and vehicles (tanks, warplanes, helicopters, etc.)
- Guns on cannot be pointed at a character, directed out toward the customer, or handled by a minor
- Images of swords, bows and arrows, and other weapons cannot be shown being used in a violent, threatening manner, for example in the process of injuring another character
Unacceptable for Kindle E-reader only:
- Images of authentic or realistic firearms
Examples of acceptable gun book covers
Sexually suggestive images
- Ads that show people in poses emulating a sexual position or alluding to sexual activity whether clothed or unclothed
- Sexually suggestive poses: the parting of the legs, accentuation of the hip etc. along with amorous or sexually passionate facial expressions
- Poses such as hands on the hips, gripping of hair in conjunction with a sexually suggestive facial expression. Ads that draw undue attention to body parts, such as breasts or buttocks, in a sexual way
- Depictions of minors in sexual situations
- Facial or bodily expression indicative of an orgasm
- Images of suggestive undressing, such as pulling down a bra strap or underwear
- Models in sexual lingerie such as stockings, suspenders or paraphernalia such as whips and chains
Examples of acceptable and unacceptable book covers featuring sexual poses